Friday, October 17, 2008

October Surprise

Ok - if you thought "October Surprise" was a lead in to another political rant - not to worry - but for my Republican friends out there that might not be able to bear it - I warn you now - there's a picture of me with a giant cupcake AND I'm wearing an Obama shirt. Blasphemy!

My wife clearly thinks I'm dumb. (As do several of the aforementioned Republican friends apparently) She sent me away on my birthday to go hiking with Kenny since she had to "work". And before I left I had to pretend not to notice the 12 lbs of chicken in the fridge. When I returned home she was still at work. A cupcake oven sheet was in the dish rack. There were no cupcakes to be found in the house. I also had to be oblivious to the well wishes of her sweet Aunt Miche who the night before told me to "enjoy all of your birthday surprises". Keeping secrets is not easy except for my cartoon counterpart as evidenced below - Meez was sneaking around inviting anyone within a 100 mile radius to the cupcake party. I'm not a fan of surprises so when I pulled up to Ma-Le's work and I saw 20 cars where there are usually 1 or 2 my suspicions were confirmed. This is where I would find the missing cupcakes. I drove around back. Called Ma-Le and told her someone had rear ended the new car. Then snuck in the back door while everyone was looking out the front. I caught hell for this later and Ma-Le demanded that I should have at least acted surprised. I thought it was funny. So thank you to everyone for the birthday wishes, food and the gifts and all of the sweet gestures. Including the following birthday cards from Jack and Josie (of Munky Diper fame)

Thanks to my sweet wife Ma-Le who spent the better part of a month working on the party. Although she brought out the game Twister - apparently in Ecuador they're not aloud to mix genders. So somewhere out there someone has pictures that I might need before I run for President.

And thanks to Sheila for the GIANT CUPCAKE maker. It's fantastic.

11 comments:

  1. oh nice job MaLe!!! Glad you had a good birthday. Lord knows I didn't send you anything! Thanks to everyone for being there for Petie....even if he IS wearing an Obama tshirt hahahaha

    cyberrunt

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's quite a cupcake. Belated Happy Birthday, Pete! I guess it would have been nice to wish you that in person when you called earlier this week...I'm a dork. So glad you found a fork worthy of the giant cupcake task. - k8

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fork helps distract the viewers attention from my shiny bald head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Obama t-shirt is awesome. It's like 3-d.. he is flying off your shirt but why are you pointing a fork in his direction?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried to keep it a secret, but it was difficult... since you didn't leave home until 8am, having only 3 hours to make the cupcakes and the chicken.... that gave me no time to hide the evidence... I literally had to run. Oh, I also had to deal with the fire alarms that turned on while i was cooking..so much fun

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated. And where do I get a giant cupcake maker?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks - :)

    Cupcake maker was a wedding gift and I think I remember seeing William & Sonoma on the box - but that sounds like a wine or an Ivy League school so I don;t know.

    Try googling Giant cupcake maker!

    ReplyDelete
  8. darn it... missed your birthday again.. Happy belated birthday... love the Obama shirt!

    oh and for your birthday.... I will buy ME a ticket to Ecuador.. and your wifey must help me plan the trip... no really thats no joke..ayudame Male! porfis!!

    -Lily

    ReplyDelete
  9. OBAMAAAAAAAAA!
    -Lily

    ReplyDelete