Thursday, May 31, 2007

Placebo Allergy

If you know me well, you know I'm a legendary hypochondriac.

Just ask the UVM (University of Vermont) med student who administered the toxic batch of placebo that made me violently ill back in college. (I got the $25 bucks for the experiment anyway). So is it any surprise I spent the day thinking I might be ill? After devouring nearly half a pan of 3 1/2 year old brownies yesterday I had a good amount of time today to devote to wondering if every cramp, headache, blurred vision, restless leg shake, hot flash, cold sweat and odd whispering coming from somewhere from behind me had something to do with the poor decision to treat myself to the potentially toxic brownies. (Keep in mind these were out of the box brownies with nothing "augmenting" them thank you very much.)

I still have no idea if they had a negative effect. Am I making up this nasty feeling? As Bill would say "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't following you". Those brownies might have been bad is all I'm saying.

But it might be me too.

Just a few days ago I was afraid I had TB. If they give a symptom, suddenly I can catch it through the TV. I swear I had a case of Ebola a few years ago and if I hadn't worn that surgical mask I know I would have gotten SARS. (Mr. Traut knows what I'm talking about)

I missed half of high school with a severe case of the creeps.

It's a mental issue that seems to run in the family on my dad's side. My grandmother had a prostate problem a few years ago. Nevermind she had no idea where her prostate was, or what it was. I'm not sure if anyone ever told her she doesn't have one.

The dilemma always becomes - do you go to the doctor or wait it out? It's embarrassing being wrong either way.

I'll end by giving a warning to anyone in the northeast. watch out for ticks. I've had Lyme Disease. Twice (and the first reported case from Cumberland Island, Georgia! go me!).

But this is the time when juvenile ticks are on the prowl for blood and they, more than any life stage have a greater chance of spreading the Lyme bacterium. May-June are the worst months. Be safe.

And if the baked good expired more than 2 years ago....pass it by.

No comments:

Post a Comment